I wanted to share a new -- to me -- type of scammer. A next-level guy, in my experience.

He revealed enough about himself for a google search, which turned up a LinkedIn profile. The LinkedIn profile did not seem very plausible to me. With a bit more rooting around I found a Facebook page & LinkedIn profile for the "real" man -- a local celeb in a small US city, with a big digital footprint including lots of photos.

It appears the scammer may have "harvested" photos from public sites. In constructing his phony profiles on 50Plus and LinkedIn, he borrowed some details from the real person. He also chose someone with a common surname, which made it harder to confirm that his profiles were fake.

I've never come across a scammer who went to the bother of creating a corroborating internet presence. Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing?
I have been on a few dating sites. I mainly used Match and OK Cupid. Unfortunately both men and women need to constantly be vigilant about scammers. They're everywhere. You need to do exactly what you did. Check everything out before going a step further.
In my perspective, here's the good news. Honest people are easy to check "references".