I watched this Canadian show "Til Debt Do Us Part" and the financial wizard Gail Vaz-Oxlade helps families struggling in debt to get out of the 'red to black' and getting to the root of their destructive spending habits. She uses the Mason Jar method and lists all the items and labels each jar accordingly to their needs of the household. She works with couples to introduce a plan working with mason jars. Most of the time Gail is very successful because the couples admit they have a spending problem and spend more than they have and they want to get out of debt so they seek Gail's help and she rewards them after they have put in a worthwhile effort. The mason jars really help them get organized.

I got to thinking what a great idea to use something similar for my daily budgeting. One does not need to save huge amounts of money in one jar, but have a few jars and divide the monies into categories, i.e. have a jar labelled for socializing, groceries, miscellaneous. When you come back from shopping, if you have loose change, use one of the jars. It is exciting when you look at this jar at the end of the month and see how quickly your money has grown. You feel a sense of accomplishment. I know the mason jars work for me.

P.S. Mason Jars have many uses.....:)

More information check out www.tildebtdouspart.com

All the loose change that is under a dollar is usually ended up on your dresser or at the bottom of your purse. Anything over a dollar they use to buy coffee, and so many of those coffee cups especially Timmy's are thrown out for the city/town folks or anyone who has to do the work of cleaning up the mess. Yes fast food as well. So maybe people should be putting those loonies and toonies in one of those jars instead of littering your neighborhood?
I notice these littering all over when I take the dogs for their walks and how hard is to walk a few steps to throw it in the trash can, this is the habit that they get into and of course that how they use the loose change, by throwing it some where like they do with the fast food that they take everytime. So how hard it is to use one of those Mason Jar Method?

Sorry UK, not sure what you call it there. :wink:
I worked voluntarily with debt loaded people. Some of the things they put BEFORE food, house, children etc made me worry about how these people coped with life and really worry that they had a vote.
1304 people put SKY subscription as No: 1 priority
934 people put mobile phone as No: 1 priority
178 people put gaming as No: 1 priority
etc
And so their lists kind of proved to us that to-days 'entertainments and communications is an addiction.
boysown wrote: I worked voluntarily with debt loaded people. Some of the things they put BEFORE food, house, children etc made me worry about how these people coped with life and really worry that they had a vote.
1304 people put SKY subscription as No: 1 priority
934 people put mobile phone as No: 1 priority
178 people put gaming as No: 1 priority
etc
And so their lists kind of proved to us that to-days 'entertainments and communications is an addiction.

It's usually the younger folks that are in this predicament, they were raise that way, parents give them something to keep them quiet and when they grow up, then they learn what their parent/s taught them by buying themselves this and that, when they become an adults, that what they do, get this and that predicament, sure they make lots of money, but when the economy crash or goes down, they get laid off, they don't think of what is ahead of them, they don't plan for anything, just go and do it :wink: .