I am basically helpless re: puters. My friend upgraded and gave me his 5 yr old one. (mine is 12 yrs old i think). What do I do to transfer all my stuff onto it ?
Thank you in advance !!
Hi BW, all your files, such as documents, photos, videos etc can be saved onto a USB memory stick or cd/dvd and then loaded on to your new PC. Any programmes you use will probably have to be reloaded from the discs. What operating system (windows) do you have?
Email me to save your posts.
if you have Gmail go onto drive..
it's like a cloud and you can upload all your stuff on it
saves sticks and cd's

go onto your gmail and in the top righthand corner( to the right of your name) is a thingie that looks like a number nine dice click on it and you should see the drive app.

This is great as you can save all your stuff, never have to buy the latest windows,and if your PC crashes your info is safely floating around in the internet white fluffy stuff 
My experience is that it is quicker to save to a USB drive than to wait for everything to sync to a cloud. Where I work, stuff is always getting lost because people log off before it syncs.
ALWAYS have a backup, don't relay solely on cloud based storage. Some day that cloud gonna burst (get hacked) :lol:
BW, Im saying F...all, cos im like u,
I know F.. all about it,
but i cud trap a buffalo tru a snowstorm for 6 days without food, 
If that's any good to u, 

PS, Jaffa hasent spoken to me, in like forever,
What did i do. 
Scrummy,,,,,you are too cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!  thank you for the input. As far as JAFFA goes,,,what DID you do to her ??????????  Perhaps took advantage of her niceness and sweetness ??? Tsk, tsk.....Silly boy xxx
gwynnie wrote: My experience is that it is quicker to save to a USB drive than to wait for everything to sync to a cloud. Where I work, stuff is always getting lost because people log off before it syncs.
ALWAYS have a backup, don't relay solely on cloud based storage. Some day that cloud gonna burst (get hacked) :lol:

I personally use the USB stick, that way I know my stuff is safe and I know where it is and can carry it with me whereever I go. If you don't want it anymore, it is as simple as one, two and three, it can be deleted. Like you, I don't trust "Cloud" to many hackers these days.
Bugger I've been caught !!
Yes I have a place I put your stuff
Along with the fertility and eyesight I've stolen when you use the microwave or TV
Also I have a special cupboard to collect your brain tumours you got from your phones
Or if you are like my cousin
(nearly everyone in NZ is my cousin it's a small population thing ..don't mention the inbred word)
she knows the chinese are watching her  through her electricity smart meter and knitted her a tinfoil cap  

PS where the hell is fishy when we need him? 

God should never have invented Sundays for Jaffa....

Idle fingers on the keyboard is a ..
bad bad thing.

Thank God I can only post three times or  the mischief that would be unleashed  would be horrific .
You can save all to a flash drive very easy to do or save to online storage, I save to both and I use Dropbox plenty of Free storage plus it puts a duplicate folder right on your desktop But FYI your hard drive is not speed it is your storage, your RAM/Memory is your speed and both are easy to replace or very easy to add more RAM to get more speed from your PC. I've done both a few times.
Ah those slowing computers. My biggest headache supporting people.

If you are using windows, you are probably experiencing the inevitable problem inherent in the OS, time and efficient use of drive resource and fragmenting. The OS has had issues, really since day one, one problem is swapping memory to disc and back to memory again. Another issue is installing more software and updates: these will install services and programs that will fill up your memory and force the first issue to occur. The easiest way I have found to fix this is to re-image (re-load) the OS, means wiping out the current drive; I usually buy a new hard drive and keep the original as the backup data drive either internal or external. Only load the stuff you really need, games are usually the biggest system resource user.

If you are using a SSD as your main drive, it could be the typical degradation inherent to these drives. This really depends on the amount of writes have occurred to the drive. The newer SSD drives have improved tremendously and will go years before degradation occurs.

Before you do the re-image note: heat is a CPU's worst enemy. I will always take the computer box outside remove the side panel and with a can of compressed air blow out the cooling fins, the fan blades and blow air through the power supply vents. DO NOT USE A VACUUM CLEANER TO SUCK THE DUST OUT. A vacuum will generate static electricity and in a most efficient manor, completely destroy the video, RAM, CPU and other components. I speak from experience, people have called me and said "I used the vacuum to clean out my computer and now it won't work." I usually recommend buying a new computer, the cost to repair would be more. As a professional I have a small compressor that allows me to blow a strong stream from at least 1 foot away from the components. At the same time I blow out the crumbs from inside the keyboard.

As a bonus piece of info, don't put your computer on the floor, treat it well and put it on a table and dust it as you would other surfaces. The floor is the biggest collector of dust bunnies. If you look around your floor based computer you will see dust bunnies do not exist in front of the computer, they are easily sucked into the computer and nest quite nicely in those computer fans.

Note, laptops are also prone to heat issues, air intake can fill the fins with dust and blocking either the intake or exhaust will cause overheating.

Anyway, I hope this information is useful.