Wondering who else admires Mr. Frost's poetry. Favorites? Reasons behind your choice of favorites?

His style and his story telling was so layered and so compelling, I find I still discover something new in poems I've read dozens of times. Interested in learning what other fans think, when they read Mr. Frost.
I have read almost all of his poems..or those that I can find...My favorite is "A Late Walk" You almost have to read a few times like most of is work. but I relate to what I understand of it...Seriously doubt there will be another Frost.
Sweet choice, MC. Think what's so solemn about that one is wondering who that last flower is for.

And I think you're right - there'll never be another Frost.
I agree, and he the best one for poetry, I often get some of his in one of my daily thoughts.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
BY ROBERT FROST

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” from The Poetry of Robert Frost, edited by Edward Connery Lathem. Copyright 1923, © 1969 by Henry Holt and Company, Inc., renewed 1951, by Robert Frost. Reprinted with the permission of Henry Holt and Company, LLC.
Source: Collected Poems, Prose, & Plays (Library of America, 1995)
daisyjean wrote: I agree, and he the best one for poetry, I often get some of his in one of my daily thoughts.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
BY ROBERT FROST

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” from The Poetry of Robert Frost, edited by Edward Connery Lathem. Copyright 1923, © 1969 by Henry Holt and Company, Inc., renewed 1951, by Robert Frost. Reprinted with the permission of Henry Holt and Company, LLC.
Source: Collected Poems, Prose, & Plays (Library of America, 1995)

One of my favorites too Daisyjean. Its words sure do paint a picture.
HoosierGirl wrote: Sweet choice, MC. Think what's so solemn about that one is wondering who that last flower is for.

[Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you.

I think he talking about his readers? ... you?
daisyjean wrote:
HoosierGirl wrote: Sweet choice, MC. Think what's so solemn about that one is wondering who that last flower is for.

Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you.

I think he talking about his readers? ... you?
Could be, daisyjean. He seems so sad and down about the coming of winter that maybe the aster's his symbolism of a long season to come without any companionship at all. I always wondered if he used it as a thought about a lost lover, but like in so much of his work, we're left with more than one or even two possibilities, for sure.
I like to read poetry but hadn't heard of Robert Frost who I think is much better known in the US than here in the UK. This thread prompted me to read 2 of his poems and one I liked is The Road not Taken which seems to be comparing choices of paths in the woods to our chosen paths in life. I also read A Late Walk which I think can be taken in a positive or negative way. While there's a certain sadness in the onset of winter, there is also a feeling of positivity of renewal by carrying on the last flower.
I think it can be wrong to believe that poets write from personal experiences rather than a general understanding of how life works.
Graham1 wrote: I like to read poetry but hadn't heard of Robert Frost who I think is much better known in the US than here in the UK. This thread prompted me to read 2 of his poems and one I liked is The Road not Taken which seems to be comparing choices of paths in the woods to our chosen paths in life. I also read A Late Walk which I think can be taken in a positive or negative way. While there's a certain sadness in the onset of winter, there is also a feeling of positivity of renewal by carrying on the last flower.
I think it can be wrong to believe that poets write from personal experiences rather than a general understanding of how life works.

The part I put in of Robert Frost, it remind me of my parents and Grandparents time, when they tell me their life in winter months, even if it not living in the woods.
Robert Frost from what I read he publish in England, an American born and raise. He well known on this part of our world.
I also think one would understand how winter is in this part, It can be brutal like the one we just had. I think one would understand it much better once you live that kind of life or heard that kind of life. Some may have it easy and some don't and his poem can speak from the heart. I like what you said about the flower part.
HoosierGirl wrote: Could be, daisyjean. He seems so sad and down about the coming of winter that maybe the aster's his symbolism of a long season to come without any companionship at all. I always wondered if he used it as a thought about a lost lover, but like in so much of his work, we're left with more than one or even two possibilities, for sure.

LOL I can relate to his feeling about winter, I am sure looking forward to spring as I think this winter has been a harsh one, if we didn't have the heating system like today, I can only imagine what it like to keep warm in the cold wooded area and trying to keep warm. Yes one can get depress about winter like ours, most go to Mexico to escape winter and to have a sunny break. Facebook , read a lot of complaint about winter, how fed up they are and I can be too. But we are ending our winter season (yes it spring time now). We all look forward to sunny warm temp that isn't below freezing, I said freezing because we use C and you use F. I was reading about Aster flower, Aster is a greek word meaning star, wonder if it has an understanding of a clear night? It could be so many meanings to his one poem.
daisyjean wrote:
HoosierGirl wrote: Could be, daisyjean. He seems so sad and down about the coming of winter that maybe the aster's his symbolism of a long season to come without any companionship at all. I always wondered if he used it as a thought about a lost lover, but like in so much of his work, we're left with more than one or even two possibilities, for sure.

LOL I can relate to his feeling about winter, I am sure looking forward to spring as I think this winter has been a harsh one, if we didn't have the heating system like today, I can only imagine what it like to keep warm in the cold wooded area and trying to keep warm. Yes one can get depress about winter like ours, most go to Mexico to escape winter and to have a sunny break. Facebook , read a lot of complaint about winter, how fed up they are and I can be too. But we are ending our winter season (yes it spring time now). We all look forward to sunny warm temp that isn't below freezing, I said freezing because we use C and you use F. I was reading about Aster flower, Aster is a greek word meaning star, wonder if it has an understanding of a clear night? It could be so many meanings to his one poem.

Last month, I had to spend one night without any heat because my furnace stop working, so I can relate to a cold lonely night lol.
So.. again, maybe his life has been cold and lonely that only an Aster flower could only be his only warm thought? Like I said, it can have so many meaning to his poem as how one is to look at it in their perspective thoughts.
Graham1 wrote: I like to read poetry but hadn't heard of Robert Frost who I think is much better known in the US than here in the UK. This thread prompted me to read 2 of his poems and one I liked is The Road not Taken which seems to be comparing choices of paths in the woods to our chosen paths in life. I also read A Late Walk which I think can be taken in a positive or negative way. While there's a certain sadness in the onset of winter, there is also a feeling of positivity of renewal by carrying on the last flower.

I agree wholeheartedly, Graham, especially of Mr. Frost - to me, his writing shows just what a grasp he possessed on the workings of life and its players - both the human kind and otherwise.
For me: Nothing gold can stay