Hi, everybody!

I like to chat. But as I come to the site when its too early for many of you, there are not many of you to chat to )). Besides, the posts in the chat appear and disappear so quickly, that i often loose the thread of conversation. So i decided to start this topic - a kind of a chat but a slow one. Anyone can post here anything and respond when it's convenient.

Welcome!
So, let me be the first.

I want to travel. I have not made up my mind yet as where to and when. It should not be a long journey as I do not want to leave my 17-year old son without an eye on him for a long time - not more then 2 weeks, I guess. Preferably less. I would like to go somewhere in spring, i think. I could even drive to the place, but I'm scared as there is nobody to accompany me. And that's the main problem. Does anybody has experience of travelling as a single? If so, where to did you travel alone?
Hi Freken
It is a shame that not many people are in chat at the same time as you but it is a good idea to start this thread. I am wondering where it is you wish to travel to. In Russia or somewhere else? I have only travelled alone within the UK. I usually drive myself and rent a cottage.
I am guessing that not too many of our members have been to Russia. perhaps you could tell us a little about your country. It is so big, am guessing that like North America you have a very varied climate, depending on the part of the country. o you also have different time zones? In the UK we have only one and the weather is pretty much the same everywhere, although the north tends to be a bit colder than the south.
Why and how did you learn English? Is it taught in your schools? Your written English is excellent, better than some English speakers :lol:
I am not sure if this is the kind of chat you want but it is somewhere to start.
Have you tried contributing to other topics? That is also a good way to make contact with people here.
Weirdone,
thank you for response ))
As I've said, I have not made up my mind about the direction. It can be Russia, or abroad. The country is really big/ Actually the biggest one and population is about 141 mln people. (Compare with Japan with their about 120 mln people). We have visited many big cities in the Western part of the country, though I've never been anywhere further to the East than Kazan (on Volga river)/ There are several time zones - when it is 3 pm in Moscow it is midnight at Kamchatka and 2 pm in Kaliningrad.
I often travel to Kaliningrad region but never been to Kamchatkf/ They say that it is very beautiful there
https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=%D ... 0%BA%D0%B0

There are unbelievable many beautiful places in Russia but some of them are difficult to get to (may be that's why they are beautiful)/ My elder son with his family and their friends travel a lot by car to different places/ They post reports on their site. http://www.alterroute.ru/ But I am too old for their company. )) I learnt to drive about 3 years ago and since then we've visited several places with my younger one. some of them are quite far away from Moscow (about 1000 km)- Riga - the capital of Latvia and Gelendgik - a resourt on the Black Sea https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=%D ... 0%B8%D0%BA
when being in Gelendgik, we usually drop in to Abrau Dyurso to buy several bottles of sparkling wine though they sell it in Moscow too but its fun to buy it where it is produced.
https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=%D ... 1%81%D0%BE and to watch music fountain in the lake Abrau https://youtu.be/s7nPG5lEwbI

But in a short period of time when he is 18 and gets his driving licence i'll become old for him as well - he will prefer to travel with his friends, I think.

I learnt English at school in the times of the Soviet Union. There are some specialized schools - some of them are language schools (English, German, French, Spanish are the most popular) or specialized in some subject - maths, physics, biology, history and nowadays there are several specializing in informatics. Mine was English language specialized school. So I like English and this is one of the reasons why i'm here - to have some practice in it.

As far as travelling is concerned, we've traveled to different European countries, but of course not to all of them )) never been to Scandinavia but they say that its better to go there in summer. Though my elder with his family went to Norway last new year - to the Nord Cap/ They were surprised to meet there some Spanish people, who had driven there from Spain by Niva - a Russian car.

one more video of the singing fountain in Abrau https://youtu.be/BHQJlgz0few

Weirdone, when you travel alone, you just book a hotel for yourself and then walk around the place, site seeing? Don't you feel uncomfortable? Sorry for asking. can't get used to be alone. but i'm learning.

I can make only 3 posts a day, so will respond tomorrow.
Good evening Freken i is currently 22.35pm In Ireland.
Yes it is a difficulty travelling alone, I so far have only been brave enough to venture from Ireland to England travelling to visit family and friends, love road trips and often go sightseeing alone around Ireland and then home late as I'm getting to the stage that I love my own bed too much to be away for long! The world is an amazing adventure ground and there are so many wonderful and amazing places to visit, so I wish you happy and safe travels and look forward to your updates and posts from your travels. Best wishes, Caroline
Hi Freken
Thanks for the information. It is interesting to learn about other countries. I think one of the best things about a big country must be the choice of different places to see.
I don't stay in hotels when I travel alone. I need disabled facilities, which are easy enough to find, but I also travel with my two small dogs and many places do not accept dogs or make a big surcharge for them.
I book a cottage, usually a bungalow so I don't have to cope with stairs. I spend a lot of time alone anyway so holidaying alone isn't much of a problem. I do a lot of sightseeing by car and also walk my dogs, using my wheelchair or a mobility scooter.
If this isn't for you, have you considered a package holiday, where you will have plenty of company? My widowed brother in law does this and has visited several countries by himself and thoroughly enjoyed himself.
It is interesting that you feel that your sons are too old to accompany you. My granddaughter sometimes comes with me. She has lived with me since she was 14 years old, although she is now 23 and has her own home. Maybe boys are different? Or maybe she just wants to spend time with the dogs :lol:
Hi weirdone
Thanks for the information. It is interesting to learn about other countries. I think one of the best things about a big country must be the choice of different places to see.
Well, the country is really big. but a lot of it is inhabited or almost inhabited. There are about 141 mln people only. Compare it with approx. 121 mln in Japan. So, though there are some places to visit, most of them are in European part of Russia, and the rest are not that easy to access. Sometimes it's easier to get to the nearest countries. Besides, though we have the north cost of the Black sea, there are other seas which are beautiful. By the way, there is a joke in Russia, that it's better to live on the north coast of the Black Sea, than on the south coast of the White Sea. ))
I don't stay in hotels when I travel alone. I need disabled facilities, which are easy enough to find, but I also travel with my two small dogs and many places do not accept dogs or make a big surcharge for them.
I book a cottage, usually a bungalow so I don't have to cope with stairs. I spend a lot of time alone anyway so holidaying alone isn't much of a problem. I do a lot of sightseeing by car and also walk my dogs, using my wheelchair or a mobility scooter.
yes, travelling with a dog is a special adventure )) I know that as my elder son has a big dog - cadebo (not sure about its English) so some times they stay somewhere in nature, in the camp. Or have to leave it with his in-laws - the also keeps a big dog and are good in handling them.
It is great that you have all the facilities for those, who have to use wheelchairs. In the last years we also had a campaign aimed on improving facilities for disabled persons. But many of them are formal and in fact can't be use in practice. Besides, probably those mobility scooters and wheelchairs with a motor are rare or very expensive here because though I see practically everywhere special ramps, i do not see anybody using them/ practically never/ its a shame of cause

If this isn't for you, have you considered a package holiday, where you will have plenty of company? My widowed brother in law does this and has visited several countries by himself and thoroughly enjoyed himself.A package holiday? Do you mean a trip which you by from an agent? We have traveled like that but from my experience when we traveled like that as a family, you are just handed the tickets and vouchers and contacts of the host counterpart and you travel by yourself. The other story is when you travel through some country by bus. May be that could be an option. but when you travel alone, you have to overpay or to find a pair. Probably i will have to try this.
It is interesting that you feel that your sons are too old to accompany you. My granddaughter sometimes comes with me. She has lived with me since she was 14 years old, although she is now 23 and has her own home. Maybe boys are different? Or maybe she just wants to spend time with the dogs :lol:. I think that the girls are really different )) surely she likes dogs, but i think that she loves her granny better by far ))
My elder has his own family and vacations are so short that of cause he prefers to spend time with them. I understand him.
And the younger is 18. Of cause he would prefer to go somewhere with his friends. May be when their children will grew up, they could accompany me))
Caringlove wrote: Good evening Freken i is currently 22.35pm In Ireland.
Yes it is a difficulty travelling alone, I so far have only been brave enough to venture from Ireland to England travelling to visit family and friends, love road trips and often go sightseeing alone around Ireland and then home late as I'm getting to the stage that I love my own bed too much to be away for long! The world is an amazing adventure ground and there are so many wonderful and amazing places to visit, so I wish you happy and safe travels and look forward to your updates and posts from your travels. Best wishes, Caroline

Hi, Caroline!
Thank you for respond. Travelling to visit smbd is not a problem - it is just the way to some point of destination. It's different with sightseeing. What kind of sightseeing do you do? And how do you [url]feel[/url] seeing different attractions and interesting things alone, when there is nobody to share emotions and impressions, and to discuss what you have seen at that very moment (of cause later you can tell your friends about what you have seen) I'm just afraid that I will feel even more lonely when travelling alone, than when staying at home. Don't know, if i put it understandable.
Recently I took my younger to see the new CSKA football Stadium. We live quite close to the pace and when I was a child I went to the figure skating group there. When we've been to Barcelona several years ago, we went to see Barsa football stadium and were impressed. So, it would be a shame not to visit the new stadium at home. And it also impressed me
https://www.google.ru/search?q=%D1%86%D ... 36&bih=740
It is very comfortable and has a lot of facilities.
I was especially surprised to learn that they have special lounges, with more comfortable seats which has heaters and they also give blankets to the fans there. And there are also rooms from which one can step out (or in) just like to the balcony. In these rooms they have TVs on each wall and table in the center and 12 chairs around it (this was not the biggest room). The guide said that one can rent it for about 100 000 USD per annum and use it 24/7/365/ The price includes parking and restaurant services. and that all those rooms are already booked. Surprise.
Sorry Freken, I should have said Package TOUR. With a tour you are with a group of other people. I am posting a link of an example that is available here. Maybe you can find similar in Russia.

http://www.icelandair.co.uk/holidays/package/dramatic-westfjords-and-local-secrets/
yes, weirdone, i understood. I'm just afraid that everyone in the group will be with a friend or spouse, when i 'm alone, and so might feel even more lonely. but i'l definitely will try smth like this. May to to Iceland, if find it here )).
Hi!
It might be interesting for those, who are in the UK. just came across.

PM commits to government-wide drive to tackle loneliness

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-c ... loneliness
Hi there!

We had a huge snowfall for a couple of days. Till February we had practically no snow in Moscow. And then all at once!

For several hours we had to dig out the passage to our dacha (a country house) to enter it.

And here are some pictures from different Russian towns. I was excited to see this :D
(it's in Russian but never mind - pictures talk for themselves)

https://life.ru/t/%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0 ... ad_10_foto
Hi!

Today we celebrated 8th of March - the International Women's Day.
From the early morning men rushed for the flowers to give them to their beloved.
And then rushed to kitchens to cook breakfast for their dear woman. I was even congratulated with the International Men's Cooking Day )))
Thanks to the bright spring sun, the streets looked very cheerful full of smiling faces and flowers.
Actually people began to celebrate this holiday on its eve yesterday, when men gifted flowers to their colleagues. And they returned home with smiles and bouquets. It was so nice!
And today flowers where everywhere:
https://www.google.ru/search?q=8+%D0%BC ... 36&bih=779
I didn't want to stay at home on this day. I wanted smth special in addition to the flowers - not the cinema or meals at a restaurant, nor the theater. So had to invent smth unusual. And found out that we have a reserve quite near Moscow - about 70-100 km only where they keep relict animals - zoobrs (I didn't find translation and the right spelling. dictionary suggests "bison", but they differ - bigger and have different head, shorter tail, more fur) and also real bison. The weather was fine though not typical for March - a lot of snow, sunny and a bit frosty. We enjoyed the visit to the reserve. https://www.google.ru/search?q=%D0%BF%D ... 36&bih=779

There we many people - pairs and families with kids and grandparents. Guess what? Some women where with flowers even there ))
It is currently 21.06.2018, 8:09